the mathsmith collage

the mathsmith collage

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review Games by Students for Students



As exam review each semester (and this year, each trimester), I gave students a group project worth 100 points to come up with review games for each chapter that will be on the exam.

Here is a link to my description.  Over the years, I decided to have due dates along the way for things such as writing the review questions.  That way, I could grade them ahead of time and have students correct their mistakes before presenting the game to the rest of the class.  Before I did that, the games turned into finding the REAL correct answers instead of playing the games.

Here is a link to my rubric.  I gave each group a copy of the rubric so they knew in advance how I would be grading them.  Then, I filled out a rubric for each group along the way as each due date came.

Here is a link to my reflection piece.  The students would each fill this out.  After they turned them in, I would give them a chance to discuss what they liked and what they wanted to do differently as a class.  Then, I encouraged them because most of the projects turned out really well.

Here are a few pictures of review games:









4 comments:

  1. There is so much that I love about this! Thanks for being so thorough in your post so I can easily re-create this in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome...#made4math-ers have been so thorough and helpful for me that I want to return the favor!! :-)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I pinned it so I won't forget to do it this year :) I *love* this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Play free online games at bgames now. Website play games very good! One of the factors that made the game interesting and appealing to players at the time of launch was the existence of the bot system. These are virtual characters, controlled by the control system that participate in real-life battles. Of course, they can not compare intelligence with humans so they are easily defeated. This gives gamers a bigger chance of winning a 100-player battle, which is very unlikely on PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds on the computer, when all the opponents are real.

    Nevertheless, the manufacturer claims that these "robots" only appear at low levels to stimulate players to play and train. They will disappear when the players level up, have higher level of manipulation.

    ReplyDelete